Wednesday, July 21, 2010

The Hulk Movie Fine Art Statue by Kotobukiya


When The Incredible Hulk movie came out a few years ago several manufacturers came up with their renditions of The Hulk and Kotobukiya was one of them. The Japanese firm is known for producing masterpiece quality statues and I have to say that this version of The Hulk does not reflect the term ‘masterpiece’ for me.
Kotobukiya made the statue based on the movie of Hulk hoisting a humvee over its head and ready to throw it to his archenemy the Abomination.



Package Contents:
Hulk is around 11+ inches tall and is packed in a nice designed black box with a serial number printed on a gold seal. The base is also numbered (limited edition). 

Collector's Perspective:
I am not a fan of the Hulk but I like the fact that he is one of Marvel's strongest hero. This statue was released a few years ago and is sold out on most of the stores here in the Philippines. I said most because I saw one store selling it for over $250.00 which I think is absurd. 

Since it's a limited edition (3000 pcs. only) product then it's a collectible in my book.
I checked Kotobukiya's website and they are selling this for $ 157.99 (list price is $174.00) and Amazon is selling this for $114.99.


PhoTOYgrapher's Perspective:
Statues are limited because they are not pose able and you get 2 kinds of poses - Museum or action pose. Kotobukiya made a decision giving Hulk a nice action pose (and prop) reminiscent of a scene from the movie.
If you are a bit adventurous then you can probably bring this statue out on a street with the city as a background and do some cool perspective shot there. An added touch would be some good light setups. On the other hand if you were restricted (like me) then a good option would be to polish your Photoshop skills and do a composite (meaning combining Hulk and a digital background) like what some of my colleagues are doing. If you are more interested with this then check out my friend Bleau Aquino's site at http://www.flickr.com/photos/11178052@N03/. This guy's creative talent will amaze you.

Some Issues:
1.) Though I like the anatomy of Hulk I am not that impressed with his facial expression (designed by Junnosuke Abe). However when you buy the Abomination statue it comes with an extra head sculpt of Hulk which I prefer.
This head sculpt comes with the Abomination Statue

2.) I do not like the finish of the statue. He reminds me of Warlock from the New Mutants comic when he bonds with one of the kids. Also Hulk looks like he's on steroids with all those veins popping out.

Gears used:
Canon DSLR
Canon 100mm f2.8 Lens
3 pcs. Jinbei 180 watts (each), Softbox and Grid
Benro A300 Tripod
Morris IR Trigger
Falcon Eyes Product Table

No comments:

Post a Comment