Sunday, July 25, 2010

Iron Man Mark IV 1/4th Scale Bust by Hot Toys

The Hot Toys people never ceases to amaze me. I saw the Mark IV bust while I was walking along the streets of Mongkok, Hong Kong. My brother and I already knew where to go (after we were tipped by a relative) and when we got to the store of Toy Hunters, I positively drooled over their products.
They had on their display window the 1/6th scale of Iron Man Mark IV, War Machine, Black Widow, Whiplash and a bunch of others. Aside from that I finally saw the 1/4th scale of Mark IV, Mark V and War Machine (all with small tag cards that read pre order). I took a couple of pictures (after getting permission from the owner) and then immediately inquired about the 1/4th scale busts and the owner told me that it’s sold out. You can check out the pictures at http://www.hottoys.com.hk/index.php?target=categories&category_id=141 and click on the Mark IV icon below.

After buying several cosbaby we left the store and went to another one (Animate) and that’s where I saw the Mark IV bust for sale. I inquired the price and asked if they had War Machine as well but they said no. I left the place and came back later and finally purchased the Mark IV.

Package Contents:
Hot Toys knows how to package their items, the Mark IV is packed in a cool black box and…

Collector’s Perspective:
If you are an Iron Man fan then you should definitely get this bust. The Mark IV was produced based on the movie and includes an LED light eyes and chest. This is not a limited edition production as far as I know. His base has an Iron Man 2 inscription as well as the words Mark IV.

There is a local toy store selling this here in the Philippine at Php 3,999.99 (roughly $85++). I was able to buy this for 480HKD (around Php 2,880.00 or $62.00)

PhoTOYgrapher’s Perspective:
As with statues there are no moving parts here so basically this works best (in my humble opinion) with a tabletop treatment. I would probably get some props to go along with this bust (maybe some Iron Man cosbaby guarding it) or maybe do a composite by adding a cool background later.

You can also do a comparison photo by shooting it eye level and below eye level. I find the latter works for me because it makes him look big. The lighted eyes and chest (powered by 3 AAA batteries) are good additions to this awesome bust.

Some Issues:
1.) The built is plastic.
2.) I would have preferred HT not to include portions of the arms because it looks as if they are dangling. It would be better if they leave the sculpting until the shoulders only.

Gears used:
Canon DSLR
Canon 100mm f2.8 Lens
2 pcs. 180 Watts (each) Jinbei & IR Trigger
Falcon Eyes Product Table

No comments:

Post a Comment