Thursday, March 24, 2011

JLED's Pico and Wilshire

I love everything that JLED (Joe Ledbetter) releases. Let’s see there’s the Bunny line, Firecat and Icecat, Smash line, Ringo line, etc. It is sad that I was not able to get my hands on his early releases so all I can do is drool at my friend’s collection. His latest release courtesy of the Loyal Subjects is also something to drool about.



JLED’s known for his cartoonish approach with his creations and his trademark black mark outline is the finishing touch. I am fond of his creations because they don’t look weird or horror-like unlike some of the others and also because they are so cute.

His latest release, Pico (approx. 6”) and Wilshire (approx. 12”), has that same JLED trademark black mark outline and cartoonish approach. It has limited edition release of 415 pieces and retails for about $ 160.00. My brother got this piece (with shipping) about $ 212.00.
http://www.theloyalsubjects.com/joeledbetterspicoandwilshire.aspx

PhoTOYgrapher’s Perspective:
Similar to what I wrote before vinyls are harder for me to photograph because they don’t have articulations or flexibility in movements. I admire those creative geniuses like Brian McCarty who can pull it off in every single photo that he takes.

Unlike action figures or statues, which I can play with lights and shadows, it is a bit of a challenge with vinyl toys for me. I basically did an outdoor shoot with Pico and Wilshire, ambient lighting and all. It’s more of giving it more depth (bokeh) to let it stand out in the picture. Maybe if we have snow here in the Philippines I could mimic a scene from the Ice Age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment