Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kotobukiya's DC Bishoujo Batgirl

It’s been awhile now since I got my hands on a Bishoujo from Kotobukiya. My friend Jon recently bought 2, Marvel’s White Queen and DC’s Batgirl. I might have to borrow the White Queen again because I trashed all my shots except one.

Anyways, since Koto has been producing several Marvel beauties lately they finally get to portray the DC beauties for us comic/toy lovers to enjoy.

First up is Batgirl, “first appeared in 1967, the alter ego of Gotham City police commissioner’s daughter Barbara Gordon. Brilliant and courageous, Batgirl helped defend the good citizens of Gotham City alongside her mentor Batman.” – taken from Kotobukiya’s site.

I was never a fan but grew fond of her when she had the black outfit in the comic line. She’s gorgeous and yet deadly. Batgirl is approximately 9 inches tall (1/7th scale) and I don’t know why it has a different scale from the Marvel line.

Koto’s press release (from their website) indicates a retail price of $59.99. I was not able to ask Jon how much he got this for in the local store. 


http://www.kotous.com/news/west-meets-east-fusion-world-craftsmanship-kotobukiya/


PhoTOYgrapher’s Perspective:
I’ve always been fond of Batman when it comes to toy shoots because my style fits his character perfectly (rim lighting, light painting, etc.) so it’s no wonder that Batgirl would be given the same treatment as her mentor.

Since this is a borrowed toy I try my best to be careful and return it as soon as possible to Jon.

I have to say that for a 1st DC project by Koto I am not that satisfied with it. Black Widow’s a lot better than this figure. There is something wrong with how it was posed. Whether this was taken from a comic cover or page she feels awkward to me.

With the Marvel line their poses scream ‘sexy’ and yet deadly but with Batgirl I think she is trying hard to be both.

The gargoyle could have been a bit bigger to give a better scaling against Batgirl. I am talking from a PhoTOYgrapher’s point of view so collectors might not mind mini gargoyle.

Also I would prefer a 1/8th scale similar to the Marvel line for display purposes. Aside from the pose and scaling the figure makes good practice for lighting. A lot of shadows can be created because of her cape.

I used rim lighting here with just one light and a mirror to reflect some of the light back to her body.



No comments:

Post a Comment