Thursday, March 31, 2011

Juggernaut by FBS

When I first read about Juggernaut I was intrigued with this character. He is someone who can go head to head with the likes of Hulk, Thing and the X-Men and would often surprise his adversaries. Immediately thoughts came to my mind like what if he goes against my favorite Superman or how we would fare against the Blob. Years ago I remember reading in a comic book a line that says something like, what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object?

That was never answered as far as I can remember. It would be a good theory to test using Juggernaut as the unstoppable force and Blob as the immovable object.

Anyways, I’ve been fascinated with Juggernaut figures from the Marvel Legends line and some statues that were loaned to me for pictorial and one such statue is Juggy made by FBS, a local group here who caters to custom made statues.

FBS’ version of Juggernaut is part of a diorama where he is running towards the other guy (Colossus). If you notice the base is just a portion of the dio which when attached with the Colossus piece gives us a battle scene.

Juggernaut is quite huge (1/4th scale, more than 15 inches tall), the sculpture and details were executed well. For those interested with this statue you can send me a PM for pricing details and I will refer you to the seller.


PhoTOYgrapher's Perspective:
I used to photographed action figures a lot then started with 12inch or so statues. Now they are getting bigger and bigger. Like I mentioned above, the details were greatly done and the paint job is comic book accurate. 
The main difference between a statue and an action figure is pose ability. With a statue what you see is what you get so a couple of things should come to mind when doing a pictorial of statues.
You can bring this statue outdoor but be prepared to get stared at by bystanders (I'm used to this), some even touching it. Lighting and angle of shooting are also factors since you want to emphasized his massive body. I did several shots of Juggernaut since he is in a running pose, I wanted to get the right angle of him running towards me. Finally after several minutes (and clicks) I finally got the shot I wanted. I added a bit of radial blur to create a picture of Juggernaut running towards me.
Setup:
For the pictures above with the black background here is a picture of how it was done.
*Note: There was a slight tweaking done to make the background solid black. My current setup does not have a big black solid background so I had to make the best of what I have.


3 comments:

  1. It's a pleasure reading your blog and looking at your beautifully taken pics. I really liked how you show the "behind the scenes" on how the photos were taken. Very educational!

    P.S. Loved your Flickr action figure pics as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dScans, thank you very much for taking the time in reading this blog. I often forget to update this because of other concerns. God bless =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. great concept , like your pict.
    Agen judi bola

    ReplyDelete