Saturday, June 12, 2010

How PhoTOYgraphy Started

I have been taking pictures of toys for the past 3-4 years and have learned a lot in the process as well. It also helped that I was fortunate enough to attend a lighting class workshop from Mr. Jo Avila, whom I regard as a mentor and a friend. I remember it was his flashlight technique that caught my attention and since then I made time to practice it.


Our first assignment from Jo involved using a flashlight and a toy of our choice which we got from his cabinet (Jo used to collect toys and I think he has a garage full of it) and showcase our skills. To make it more interesting he had us donate P 20.00 ($.50) each and he added a bit to it.




Through online voting by his colleagues my entry of “The Return of Doc Ock” won the contest. I became more interested and decided to explore the hobby even further. Through a friend who tirelessly loaned me his collection of action figures and statues, I was able to practice different kinds of lighting styles and produce interesting results.

I also happen to read an article by Mark Floro in one of our local photography magazine (i-Mag Photography) regarding Rim Lighting. I studies his article and samples then adapted the technique to shooting toys. I was amazed at the results and decided to keep on practicing and giving it a variety of treatment (thanks Mr. Floro).


After uploading countless toy photos at my flickr site (www.flickr.com/photos/powerpee/setsI was given an advice to set up my own blog site and do a review of toys per se. I thank God for this opportunity to share what I know in toy collecting and PhoTOYgraphy (a word I came up with). I am not a blogger nor am I good at writing one so will give it my best.


Thanks Uncle Pete!


Enjoy and God bless!

4 comments:

  1. Ang humble naman ni powerfafs! God bless you man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking it out Farfs! God bless as well =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking blog here, sir! :) Malapit na ba si Munny Prime dito? he he he

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jan, of course! I just need to give it a proper photo opt then we are all set =D

    ReplyDelete