Monday, August 23, 2010

The Scarlet Witch by Sideshow Collectibles

When my friend Steve tipped me about his upcoming statue purchase, I was curious and decided to take a peek at Sideshow’s website. Just to give a little background, Steve is a collector of female exclusive statues of Sideshow Collectibles, particularly the comiquette line. He started with the Adam Hughes versions and currently acquired The Scarlet Witch, which is my favorite female statue to date.  I am positively drooling over this exclusive piece, which comes with a concept art by artist Mark Brooks.

Wanda aka The Scarlet Witch is packed in Sideshow’s traditional Styrofoam and a beautifully designed outer box. The head, arms and cape are separated from the body. A small version of Vision is included as well. The round base is stored in a different section of the styro.
Sideshow is selling 2 versions of this, a regular and exclusive. The only difference between the 2 are the number of pieces (1500 regular & 400 exclusive) and the concept art that comes with the exclusive version. The exclusive version is selling for $ 219.99 and the regular retails for $ 204.99.

PhotTOYgrapher’s Perspective:
Out of all the female statues that Sideshow has produced, the Scarlet Witch is so far the best for me. I love how the face was sculpted and the green painted eyes is perfect. Whenever I look at statues I am very particular with the face because the expressions say a lot about the character and Mark Brooks captured Wanda’s very well.
It’s a shame that I do not own this (darn you Steve for making me drool) otherwise I would always go back to my display cabinet and look at this fine piece. The addition of mini Vision is excellent! The whole concept of the statue, Wanda holding a remote control while Vision is running away gives it a humor that I appreciate. It tells a story.
I did several high key shots with Wanda to show the beauty and form of this masterpiece. I am not a fan of The Scarlet Witch but given the chance (and money) to buy only one then this would be it. 

Issue:
1.) My only issue with this is the paint job on her face. There were two visible lines on the bridge of her nose and some stains inside the teeth. You will not able to notice these unless you look real close, in my case a macro lens.
The Setup:
Here is a picture of what I did with one of the pictures above. If you notice my white background was not long enough to cover the entire statue so a little bit of editing was made. Basically I used 2 lights for the entire session, one fitted with an Octabox and the other with a big softbox.
For more pictures kindly check my flickr site:

No comments:

Post a Comment