Thursday, September 23, 2010

Kingdom Come Superman Deluxe Collector by DC

I’ve been following the art of Alex Ross for a while now and consider him to be the best painter in the comic book industry. I’ve somewhat studied his lighting in illustrations and they are pretty amazing. When I was shooting action figures a few years back I was not aware that my style resembles how Alex draws (or paints) his characters.

I found out about this 1/6th scale Kingdom Come Superman figure while browsing through one of Jon’s magazines and told him about it. Jon also a Superman fan ordered one and informed me when he finally got it.

I was very excited when he lent it to me (to the point of buying one for myself) because it was by far the best rendition of KC Superman in a toy that I have ever seen. I opened the box with much anticipation and my jaw dropped when I saw the figure. Alex Ross is indeed an awesome artist! The face sculpt of Superman is incredible; it captured the same essence in the comic book line. With regards to the rest of the figure check out my issues below.

Jon bought this for P5, 000.00 (approximately $113.00) locally. It is available online for $99.00 at DC's website (http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=14180).

If you are a Superman collector then you got to have this. If you are an Alex Ross fan then you got to have this. Enough said.

PhoTOYgrapher’s Perspective:
I did a few light painting techniques to try to duplicate Alex Ross’ style and some fellow flickr colleagues immediately guessed what I was trying to do. I also tried some rim lighting and it worked as well.


Some Issues:
1.) My problem with this figure though is the Mr. Olympia like body and arms. This ruined (in my humble opinion) an otherwise good figure. I can do the famous Superman pose where he puts both hands on his waist but that is about it. I cannot bring down his arms side by side to his body because of the Olympian like pectorals inside his clothing.

2.) The plastic stand looks and feels cheap. Be careful with how you insert the stand to the base because mine slipped and made a slight scratch on the base (sorry Jon).

3.) I would prefer if the head tilts backward so I can do a flying pose.

No comments:

Post a Comment