Friday, September 17, 2010

War Machine 1/4th Scale Bust by Hottoys

I saw an actual display piece of this at Toy Hunter in Mongkok and my jaw dropped. It's practically a masterpiece! I was not able to buy it because it was not yet available for sale.


More than a month later Jon was able to get this at one of the local toy stores here in the metro area (R-Toys to be exact) and immediately loaned it to me for a photo shoot/blog. My initial impression was the price, because I feel it’s a bit pricey for a plastic 1/4th scale bust. However, after I opened the box and saw the actual piece I knew that collectors would definitely skip lunch or dinner for this piece.

The packaging is simple, black box with some illustrations and wordings. War Machine comes with a Gatling gun (with ammo) and features light up eyes and chest. The red lights of his eyes are awesome! The details are stunning and the craftsmanship is very impressive. Though the Iron Man Mark IV is nice, this War Machine is even better.

Big Bad Toy Store is selling this for $74.99. Jon bought it around $88.00 (which is the normal selling price here in the Philippines) that is $13.00 more.


Iron Man fans will definitely want to add this to their collection.
PhoTOYgrapher's Perspective:
As with statues there are no moving parts here so basically this works best (in my humble opinion) with a tabletop treatment. I would probably get some props to go along with this bust (maybe some Iron Man cosbaby guarding it) or maybe do a composite by adding a cool background later.

You can also do a comparison photo by shooting it eye level and below eye level. I find the latter works for me because it makes him look big. The lighted eyes (red) and chest (powered by 3 AAA batteries) are good additions to this awesome bust.
Some Issues:

1.) The built is plastic.
2.) I would have preferred HT not to include portions of the arms because it looks as if they are dangling. It would be better if they leave the sculpting until the shoulders only.

2 comments: