Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Stealth Iron Man by Bowen Designs

One of the most popular statues under the Marvel banner is Iron Man. I have seen countless Iron Man statues from classic to stealth to even a Hulk buster and a Thor buster version. With so many IM statues available I already lost track which is which.

When I decided to do a PhoTOYgraphy blog I asked Jon to loan me his collection. Jon being an Iron Man fan had several statues with him and I am going to start off with the Stealth Iron Man.

The stealth is packed in Bowen’s conventional styro and box with colorful illustrations. The base is separated from the figure, which shows Iron Man blasting off. Bowen Designs released this statue last April 2009, so chances are this is already sold out. Amazon is selling this piece for $ 119.99.


Personally if you are an Iron Man fan then you will have to add this to your collection. The sculpting by the Kucharek Brothers made this statue come to life. The paint quality however is a different story. There are mixed reviews as to whether the blasting off pose is good or not, however I find it a bit stiff.

PhoTOYgrapher’s Perspective:
Iron Man is an interesting piece to phoTOYgraphed because you have to do well with the lighting to show off his armor. The stealth is dull compared with the classic red/gold combination but given a proper lighting treatment it will come to life.

I usually do 2 types of lighting here, one a rim lighting style and the other a high key effect just to show my flickr colleagues what the statue looks like. The fact that statues do not move gives me more time to prepare for the shoot and not worry if my model is uncomfortable.

It would probably be nice to bring this outdoors for some realistic scenery shot but it is not mine.

Issue:
1.) The blasting off pose is a bit stiff for me.

Lighting Setup:
Here is a diagram of how I did the lighting. The Octabox acts as a reflector only (notice there is not strobe/flash gun attached to it) so basically what I did was a one light setup. I did the same shot with the classic and the stealth so the pictures are similar except the classic has more punch.

No comments:

Post a Comment