Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Superman Classic 13" by DC Direct

When I visited Jon's warehouse a few months ago I saw several boxes in one of his cabinets stacked neatly. I asked him what it is and of course my jaw dropped when I saw them - 13" figures of Superman, Batman, Flash, Shazam and Aquaman by DC Direct. They were all sealed so I did not bother asking if I could borrow them for a photo shoot. 

A few months passed by and when Jon finally bought the KC version of Superman he lent me this and the classic Superman figure.

I got excited when this piece reached my office and was very much anxious to open the package and start taking photos. 

After a few minutes I finally opened the box, removed the plastic wires and took out the figure and the stand. This was the first time I saw a DC DIRECT doll-like figure, much less hold one and the theme song from the movie started playing inside my head. 

It took me awhile to pose the figure and that's when I notice a lot of the flaws of Superman.

I checked DC's website and this has long been sold out and they are making a reissue which is way better than this one (http://www.dccomics.com/dcdirect/?dcd=6173)

PhoTOYgrapher's Perspective:
Action figures are a joy to take photos because of the pose ability. Unlike statues wherein you are limited to angles and perspectives, action figures gives you more flexibility when it comes to phoTOYgraphy. The fabric costume is a nice touch and captured the essence of the Man of Steel very well.
I can already imagine having a Fortress of Solitude or maybe a Hall of Justice backdrop for Superman. However you will need good PS (Photoshop) skills pulling this off. You can probably imitate his flying pose by tying some strings and do several flying poses. What I love is the fact that you can do his trademark pose – hands on his waist.
Superman is my favorite comic book superhero of all time and despite this I have several disappointing issues with this figure by DC Direct.
Some Issues:
1.) The boots is made of synthetic and when I finally opened the box and took him out, a small red patch from his boot got stuck with the plastic so the boot got damaged.
2.) The extra hands that looks like a karate chop pose are worthless if you cannot tilt his head back for a flying pose.  Even with the stand you cannot do a flying pose because you cannot make his head look up.
3.) If you look at the back of the figure, the zipper in his clothes is visible. I would have preferred if the opening of the cape were slightly higher to cover this.
4.) The knee joints are flimsy so it takes a bit of patience to make Superman stand. You can only do very simple poses otherwise he will fall.
5.) The stand feels and looks very cheap. I would assume that DC Direct could have made this better.
6.) Overall, this is a very disappointing Superman figure to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment